Skip to main content

Zentangle Etching On Copper



I've never tried doing Zentangle designs, I don't think I'm good enough at drawing if I'm honest, but I do love Zentangle patterns! A jewellery maker friend of mine recently very kindly sent me two Deborah Read zentangle stamps (thanks Jill!)
I thought I'd use them for etching and decided to try a different way of suspending the copper sheet in the ferric chloride this time too. I normally stick the copper pieces to packing tape and suspend the tape across my etching dish so the copper is immersed in the etching liquid as shown in the photo below.....




This works fine for small pieces but anything larger than about 1.5 inches is too heavy for the tape and pulls it down so it ends up touching the bottom of the dish. It also means the copper pieces start to peel off the tape after about an hour which is not good news if you want to do a deep etch! The answer would be to get a deeper dish and more ferric chloride but I thought I'd try hanging the copper vertically in the etching solution this time.

I started by punching a hole in the top of each piece of copper then covered the back with nail varnish to protect it. You can apply nail varnish to the sides too but as I will be cutting shapes from the etched pieces and not using the whole piece I didn't bother this time. I then applied Stayz On ink to the zentangle stamp when I eventually decided which part of the fabulous crazy heart pattern I wanted to use! I cleaned the front of the copper with wire wool then placed it onto the stamp and pressed firmly.
The photo shows the copper piece on the stamp (with unintentionally colour co-ordinated nail varnish!) and you can see how I managed to get lots of bits of wire wool stuck to the back too :D




The second zentangle stamp inked up before stamping. This one has lots of cool designs to choose from too.




The stamped pieces of copper




Next I needed a plastic container suitable for hanging the copper pieces vertically. I found just what I needed in the kitchen cupboard. It was an old measuring beaker and was just the right size for the amount of ferric chloride I have. I found a couple of sticks outside and armed with some 16g copper wire I attached the stamped copper pieces to the sticks and dangled them in the etching solution. I left them for just over an hour, lifting them up and giving them a wiggle every now and then to remove any etched away copper particles.




I then soaked the copper pieces in water and bicarb, dried them and cleaned the ink off with wire wool. I've noticed this seems to produce fumes which could be a reaction between the etching solution and the steel in the wire wool. It makes me cough sometimes so I'd do it in a ventilated area or outside. I don't know of a quicker way to remove the ink than using wire wool. Heating the metal with a torch would remove it but will probably create fumes too and pickling it doesn't get rid of the ink.



The finished etched pieces partly cleaned up with wire wool. I removed the nail varnish on the back with acetone and washed the copper before pickling it which cleans it thoroughly and helps to stop it tarnishing too quickly.

I found etching this way was much less messy, and there was no fiddling with sticky tape. The only extra step is painting the back with nail varnish and adding the hanging hole. I noticed you don't get the "Jesus ray" effect around the edges of the metal you get with the other method either.

I'm glad I tried etching this way as it's ideal for larger pieces that I was having trouble with previously. I'm going to use the same method next time I etch some silver as silver takes so much longer than copper and I was having problems with it falling off the tape. I'm really glad I didn't throw that measuring beaker away last time I had a kitchen cupboard clear out!

Comments

  1. to keep your pieces from sagging I use those inexpensive foam nail files and tape them to the back and it keeps them straight - you still tape to each side of the container

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like the answer to my sagging problem, thanks Deborah!
    I've just linked to your website too :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Acetone will get rid of the staz on as well - I pour a little in a plastic container (leftover sour cream, dip ) and let sit
    My blog has a bunch of step by steps and tips as well : deborahreadcom.blogspot.com

    see etching multiple small pieces - shows the nail files
    http://deborahreadcom.blogspot.ca/2012/08/etching-multiple-small-pieces.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Deborah, there are some great tips on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting on my first batch of Ferric Chloride to be delivered, so I can give etching a go, so thank you for sharing this tip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! Stamps come in everything these days. I have never seen a zentangle stamp before. I love zentangles too but have not tried drawing them. Pinterest is full of such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Val. I didn't realize you could get zentangle designs on stamps either til I found Deborah Read's shop on Etsy :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco