Skip to main content

Making A Synclastic Bangle


I wrote a blog post a while ago where I practised making a mini synclastic bangle using a pair of synclastic pliers and dapping punches. I thought it was about time I made a proper sized bangle!

If you're wondering what on earth a "synclastic" shape is it's where the surface curves towards the same side in all directions or in the case of my bangle rather than having a flat profile when viewed in cross-section it's domed. Or if you still don't understand it...just look at the photo :D

I started with a strip of copper that I'd added a stripe pattern to...


Once it was soldered and the join tidied up I rounded it on the bracelet mandrel and sanded both sides to get them flat. I cut the strips of copper sheet myself so they are inevitably a bit wonky to start with but it's easy to sort out once the bangle is soldered.

I decided to make a medium size bangle and cut the length longer than normal to allow for the decrease in the inside diameter of the bangle as the sides will be curved inwards as the synclastic shape is formed.


I then used my synclastic pliers to start off the curved shape. I went round the bangle once then flipped it and did the other side.


The result is a little bit wonky and not as curved as I want it. The marks left on the inside of the bangle by the pliers are surface marks and disappear with a rub with some wire wool.


After annealing the bangle I started to shape the curve a bit more using dapping punches fixed in a vice and a nylon mallet. The nylon mallet won't flatten the metal just move it so the striped texture will be preserved.



It took a bit of hammering and a few annealings but I managed to even out the bumps and the wavy edges and get the curve pretty smooth.

The next stage is to flatten the bangle so it sits flat and to smooth the edges.


I use a file and sanding sticks to take the edges off the metal so it's comfortable to wear then pickle the copper to clean it up.


The bangle ready for oxidizing.



The finished bangle.

Using the dapping punches as a stake to make these synclastic shapes is ok but does make the process a bit fiddly as they tend to move a bit in the vice.
Which is why I treated myself to one of these!!



It's a Bonny Doon Anticlastic/Synclastic Forming Stake available from Rio Grande and Bonny Doon.
It's the perfect size for the narrower anticlastic and synclastic bangles and earrings I want to make. 

My parcel of goodies from Rio Grande arrived today and I've literally just opened the box and got the stake out to have a look at it as I write this post. I haven't had chance to try it yet {that will be another post!} but it looks like it's going to make life a lot easier.






Copyright © 2016 Cinnamon Jewellery. All rights reserved.

Comments

  1. Very cool Tracy! This looks fun to form. I hope you love your new tool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bangle! Yep...that tool will make your life a lot easier. You take great pictures too! Amazing that you can take a pic with one hand. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kalaya. I'm amazed I can take photos with one hand too, they are pretty blurry most of the time :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post - very interesting to see the process of creating this beautiful bracelet. The synclastic shape is a very flattering and popular style particularly for bracelets. Using the copper was a good choice, and is always a striking colour choice on most skin types, along with rose gold. Enjoy your bracelet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cool! I would totally wear this. Sounds like your new tool is coming in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty darn cool... I read the whole post and saw all the pictures from beginning to end and I have to say you are a professional jewelry maker and designer. Very beautiful work!

      Delete
  6. What was the original metal strip length? Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Dave, sorry for the delay in replying.
      I started with 16cm of 1.2mm sheet then rolled it to add the texture. Then it was cut to about 21.6cm before soldering which made a ladies medium size. The amount of curve on the metal will affect the end inside diameter measurement.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Your comments and questions are very welcome!
If you would prefer to contact me directly please use the contact form on my "get in touch" page.

Popular posts from this blog

Combining Soldering And Enamel

The need to make cute, brightly coloured enamel studs propelled me into the world of combining soldering with enamel a couple of years ago. I knew from reading up on it that it was possible to enamel and solder on the same piece but wasn't too confident I was able to do it back then. It was a slightly embarrassing occurance that made me just get on with - I'd made some enamel studs with glued on stud posts. I'd used 2 part epoxy resin which was a job in itself as it set hard after 5 minutes so I had to keep mixing more up. The finished studs looked ok but that little voice in my head kept asking "are you sure you want to use glue?" I wasn't but didn't think I had any other way to do it so I used glue. I sold my first pair and merrily sent them on their way to Canada. A couple of week later the buyer got in touch to say the stud post had come off one of the earrings and the other was hanging off. I was mortified, apologized profusely and refunded her m

Etching Silver Using Nail Art Stamps

So my love/hate relationship with etching sterling silver continues. I've tried a few times now and always end up with different results most of them not that great to be honest. I've tried connecting the silver and a piece of copper to a 9v battery and also heating the ferric nitrate. Sometimes the results are good sometimes not so good. I currently have an etched piece of silver sheet waiting to be reticulated and rid it of the mess that is the etched "pattern".  I now know that using stamps and Stayz On ink just doesn't work with silver - the time needed to etch using ferric nitrate is much longer than etching copper and the ink starts to wear away after about an hour. This results in the pattern being patchy as the resist is eaten away and the silver ends up quite lumpy and course looking. I have yet to try using pnp paper. I don't know why but it all seems a bit of a faff to do. I don't have a laser printer so would need to find somewhere or

Embossing Metal With My Sizzix Bigshot

I must admit up until a few weeks ago I was vaguely familiar with the name Sizzix but as to what you actually did with a "Sizzix" I was completely in the dark! That was until I stumbled across a video from Vintaj showing how you could use their embossing folders with a Bigshot to create designs on metal ("metal" - my favourite word after chocolate!) I was really impressed and itching to have a go, I just needed a Bigshot........ I waited a few weeks then when the urge to possess one overcame me I went out debit card at the ready..............and the shop had sold out! So I trundled off to The Range on the off chance and came home clutching my own surprisingly heavy pink and black wonder machine. It sat on the dining room table for a couple of days while I waited for the embossing folders I'd ordered online to arrive then the time came to start playing! I started with some pre-cut 24g copper hearts and the Wildflower Vines and the Butterfly Swirls Deco